Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Take a Flying Leap [Springboard]

Once momentum is introduced in my class, I waste little time moving onto the topic of impulse. Eggs are tossed; grass omelettes are made. Slow-motion videoclips are captured and reviewed in class.

We eventually get to this guided classroom discussion, where we learn more about how impact time affects impact force. Examples are cited, and videoclips are featured. I took a flying leap from the historic Victoria Falls Bridge between Zambia and Zimbabwe in the name of science. A Victoria Falls bungee mishap is also shown. As is a GoldenEye 007 bungee stunt, and a skydiver who chooses not to use a parachute.

I had seen video of the Vic Falls bungee mishap prior to jumping, myself. It actually increased my confidence that things would go well for me. Now there's a topic for an interesting classroom discussion!


Includes
Student document (print-friendly Google Docs file on Google Drive)
Instructional presentation (link embedded in answer key)
Answer key

For a more thorough AP Physics 1 level analysis of the author's African bungee jump, see Victoria Phyz Falls. It goes into the kinematics, mechanical energy, and harmonic motion of the jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment