Sunday, March 13, 2022

Be Newton for a Day [Springboard]

I don't remember when I learned that Isaac Newton often wrote is findings as a series of "queries"; questions whose answers are always "yes".

But when I wanted to work through the derivation of Newton's universal gravitation equation, I thought it would be amusing to sequence it as a series of queries. As I often did with my lab reports in The University of Michigan's Physics 403 optics lab (c. 1985), where a young Dr. David Gidley indulged my creativity, I designed the document to look more of the era of Newton. (My reports incorporated such eighteenth-century anachronisms as "opticks" and "reflexions". Dr. Gidley was a good sport.)


Includes
Student document (print-friendly Google Docs file on Google Drive)
Instructional presentation (link embedded in the answer key)
Answer key

No comments:

Post a Comment