Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Charging Ahead - Virtual Demonstration

The RT;DL Virtuals continue with a demonstration.

Charging Ahead (among my favorite activity titles) is my deep dive into the joys of the Van de Graaff generator. There was no way I was going to let the challenges imposed by remote teaching/distance learning (RT;DL) stop me from presenting this demo to my students.

At this point in pandemic instruction, I had turned my empty classroom into a flexible live vlogging studio. You probably had, too. But I put in extra effort to get viable videoclips for this classic.

I embedding the harvest of clips in the presentation I normally ran in parallel to the in-class demo. The product was the hybrid preso at the core of this resource.

Unlike the Virtual Lab Experiments described in a separate post, you guide the whole class through this one. No Zoom breakout rooms. Preview the included answer key. Students will need your help with the elements of these demos that involve polarization. The electrostatic attraction of a polarized neutral object makes more sense in students know about Coulomb's law.

My Blog of Phyz post, "RT;DL Charging Ahead" post provides more background. But if you find yourself in need of demonstrating the grooviness of the Van de Graaff generator remotely, this is your ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment