Monday, February 7, 2022

Batteries and Bulbs - PhET

When I was frantically redesigning lab activities for remote teaching/distance learning (RT;DL) in 2021, a practical goal was to do so in such a way that my existing post-lab quizzes would require as little modification as possible. No mods would be ideal! 

For this one, I knew I could lean on PhET's Circuit Construction Kit: DC fairly hard, even though I had never previously used it in class. I had always been quite content to do this activity hands-on in class. The opening section had students sketching and labeling the anatomy of miniature incandescent light bulbs, which is very helpful in getting one to light using a battery and some wires.

I maintained that section, using a photo of said bulb. From there, we went into the PhET sim (with a better understanding of why PhET shows the bulb's contact points the way it does). The explorations I previously had students do with real batteries, bulbs, and wires were easy enough to replicate in the sim. I do prefer the in-class, hands-on version of this lab, but that version was not on the menu in Spring 2021.

A favorite moment in this activity is the question of how bright the bulb will light if two batteries are used instead of one. The correct answer is not the intuitive one. Students get a second crack at answering that one after they explore the possibilities. 

In any case, my old post-lab quiz needed very little modification. Now it makes a perfect solution for students who miss the in-class activity. Or however you might envision using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment